Since 1971, Memorial Day has been a federally recognized holiday and what a beautiful Memorial Day weekend we have coming our way for 2022. Temperatures are supposed to be in the high 70s, so I hope you are in a position to get out and enjoy the beautiful weekend.
This 3-day holiday weekend typically kicks off the unofficial beginning of the summer season and Hickory Hollow Campground is excited to get into full summer mode just like you. We have an exciting weekend planned for our campers starting with Bill Schaudt Wood Creations bringing logs to life on Saturday from 10-2 with his annual chainsaw carving demonstration. Watch how Bill transforms a simple log into a bear, turkey, flag, or bench with some precise, smooth angled cuts from the chainsaw. It’s pretty impressive if you have never seen it done before and even better, the carvings will be for sale. On Saturday and Sunday nights we will be hosting one of our campers’ favorite activities –lawn chair/golf cart bingo from 6-7 pm, followed by our own DJ playing your favorite music from 7-9pm on Sunday night.
While most Americans will celebrate Memorial Day weekend in some way, many are unaware of the holiday’s significance. So, for you 28% of true patriotic Americans who actually know the significance of this very important holiday, please share the true meaning of the holiday with the other 72% who are unmindful and think it is just the kick off to summer fun.
The most solemn of our national holidays, Memorial Day is the day we honor those who are no longer with us. Those individuals who cannot attend our celebrations, because everyone we honor gave their lives so that we may live free. This holiday is not to thank living Veterans for their service, but to remember our greatest heroes- so that we never forget their sacrifice or those of their families. Stories of citizens from all walks of life who wore the American soldier uniform, stories of their valor, heroics and great sacrifice is what this day represents. As we see other countries struggling to remain free, please remember the heroes’ who gave their lives so we can celebrate on this 2022 Memorial Day free in America.
If you are in that 3% of Americans who plan to attend a Memorial Day community event and are looking for local patriotic adventures to celebrate the national holiday, check out Patriot Park which opened late summer 2021. The park honors the tens of thousands of brave servicemen and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the Global War on Terrorism. Take a moment to pay your respects as you walk through the Field of Heroes and experience over 7000 American Flags flying in their honor. The Opening Ceremony is planned for Sunday, May 29 at 7 pm and is located at 6150 Lincoln Highway, Stoystown, PA 15563. On Memorial Monday, Somerset will be celebrating with the annual Memorial Day remembrance starting at the courthouse at 9:30 followed by the parade coming down Main Street.
The number of Americans forecasted to travel this holiday weekend is 37 million, so please plan ahead and make sure your RV is in tip top condition to avoid any unexpected delays on the busy highways. It is estimated that Americans will spend over 4.7 billion on gasoline this weekend and with the gas prices soaring, that number will likely exceed 5 billion. Camping is still one of the most favorite weekend experiences with over 18 million Americans planning to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and just relax at the campground this holiday. Hotels experience a surge in demand and pricing over long holiday weekends, typically seeing as much as a 37% increase in cost. Thankfully, Hickory Hollow has very reasonable rates but books up very quickly for Memorial Day weekend so hopefully, you have already made your reservations on our new Campspot reservation platform.
Memorial Day is a time for celebration, and what better way to celebrate than saluting the American soldier with old friends drinking a beer. With beer accounting for 47% of the estimated consumed weekend alcohol, plan to stock up ahead of time or you may just find yourself drinking lemonade instead. Camping may be America’s favorite pastime, but movie watching comes in a close second with about $100 million estimated this weekend in movie tickets sales. If you aren’t lucky enough to be camping at Hickory Hollow Campground, check out the theatre for these top releases- Top Gun: Maverick; Firestarter; and Dr. Strange.
As we celebrate the next 100 days of summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day let us be thankful and grateful for America’s freedom. Perhaps more of us will understand and share the fundamental qualities of courage, pride, determination, selflessness, dedication to duty and great personal integrity that those before us embodied. All the qualities needed to serve a cause larger than one’s self. General Patton said it best “We should not mourn the dead. We should thank God that these men and women lived.”